Over the last month of so I’ve been making a number of incremental changes to the web site for the Redwood Lake Weather Station. I still would love to build my own site from the ground up and a few prototypes have even gone from white board to web site and back again.
My biggest issue is instrumentation or gauges, Ive tried various offerings the most successful being the free gauges offered by Bindows but even these have left a lot to be desired, wide browser compatibility being top of a list of niggles.
So I decided, while I continue my search for the tools to build my own site, to apply a lot of the other tricks, tips and technology to my Cumulus based site from SandaySoft?
My weather station, a WS2350, is connected to an old server here in my office and via the excellent Cumulus software from Steve at SandaySoft keeps the Redwood web site up to date.
So what are the key differences between the standard Cumulus web page and the Redwood site?
The old multi page standard site has been replaced by a single main page incorporating some of the data found on the old additional pages and driven by AJAX based dynamic updates based on a live data feed from the weather station. You can find details of the AJAX scripts on the Cumulus forum pages, implementing it was very simple.
The page has been reformatted a little with some minor tweaks to the CSS and the addition of a banner image (a picture of Redwood Lake, of course).
I have also implemented a data log to drive some graphs. The graphs are based on JPGraph package using the logging and data generation scripts by TNET Services, these are really good and very simple to get working. However they dont seem to deal with data gaps as I would like, I would prefer to see time on the graphs with no data rather than the period omitted. I’ve been looking at Open Flash Chart but have not really had the free time to define scripts to feed data in the JSON format required.
The navigation bar has been changed to allow me to include some great external content from Weather Underground and from Meteorologica, the standard Cumulus instrumentation gauges have been retained but I’m no fan of Silverlight and at best they are troublesome, which is a shame as I think Steve from SandaySoft has actually done a great job in building them.
One thing I always disliked about the standard Cumulus web site was the Moon phase graphic, so I’ve replaced it with some new images.
Overall I’m fairly pleased with the results, I think there is still a lot that could be done (time permitting of course). I would like to implement a better forecast, currently I’m using the simple (Zambretti based) forecast produced by Cumulus, the WS2350 doesn’t produce anything better itself as some weather stations do.
I think a forecast graphic and, if I can work out the scripting, a ‘current’ conditions graphic are next on the TO-DO list.